Friday, September 12, 2008

Artists Date #2


It's that time of the week again. I put my hand in my trusty idea jar and pulled out three options for my Artists Date. #1 was to create a music cd with a artful cover. I didn't much feel like doing this. #2 was to make a pot of soup and since it was in the high 80's, I figured it was a little warm to making soup. #3 was to go a craft shop and get "something" I could finish in an afternoon.

I had to go to Joann's anyhow to get more yarn for my cross stitch. So off to Joann's I went.

I walked down the kids aisle and immediatly saw what I wanted to do. A paint by number! It was oodles of fun and has taken me most of the afternoon and evening to finish. I put some wonderful music on (Xavier Rudd and then Lorena McKennit) This evening I listened to a documentary about the construction and restoration of Parthenon.

It was wonderful to be painting again, without the anxiety of "destroying" a blank canvas.

Better still, I was able to forget about my desire to smoke.

All in all, a wonderful day off.

5 comments:

Pen said...

sounds fabulous!
and you have great taste in music!

melissa said...

oh, i like the idea jar!
i have been struggling for ideas for this week...nothing sounds good...but i *will* get my date in today or tomorrow! ;)

have a great weekend!!

Stoner Mom said...

Another really fun non-stressful painting thing I did once was painting a mug. I did it in a pottery place but you can probably also find the supplies at a craft store. Good luck with the smoking--I smoked for 13 years but have been smoke-free for 17. One day, or even one minute, at a time.

Disenchanted Melody said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm doing so good this time around. This time I'm over the hurdles that have fallen me in the past.

As for the jar for my Artist Dates, it's a really neat trick. It adds some excitement to the day. As I think of cool ideas, I add to it. Of course if there is something I specifically want to do, I will. But for those days where are stuck, it's great.

I like the idea of painting a mug too. I looked through a whole bunch of cross stitch books today, looking for the perfect baby gift for my best friend. (She's going to start trying for a baby next year) All these creative ideas are starting to come to me.

I love it.

DanseuseSabine said...

Oooh! Paint by numbers! I'm gonna have to borrow that idea. Much kudos

-Nadja