Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike


What a week it has been.

The remnants of Hurricane Ike came up through the Midwest and wrecked havoc on our city. With as bad as it was, I can't imagine how disastrous it was for those in Texas. Here in Ohio, we had hurricane force gusts in the range of 55-70 mph.

It came through and knocked down thousands of trees, damages houses, injured people and left 90% of the city without power.

That was Sunday and my power was just restored Wednesday. My internet and cable connection only came back online this afternoon. I'm one of the lucky ones. The electric company are saying that many people will still be without power on Sunday, one full week after the storm.

It was amazing!

Grocery stores were closed, gas stations were closed. You couldn't buy a bag of ice or a candle anywhere in town. Traffic lights were out on most intersections. There was a small pocket of power in my work complex (we were open for business) and the McDonald's in the plaza were out of food by the second day. On Sunday night after the storm had past, people were waiting over an hour for a cheese burger!

Needless to say, my progress with The Artist's Way has been hindered this week. I haven't done morning pages in 4 days now and I'm feeling pretty down about it. The artist side of me has been telling me that this was the perfect time to be writing without the distraction of television and internet.

The critic, ego-driven side has used this week as an excuse to halt my recovery. I've spent the past few days wallowing in my own self-misery. Onwards I go.

4 comments:

Gina said...

How terrible! I know I would have reacted exactly the same way you did. Don't let it get you down. It's hard to concentrate when there's chaos all around you. I think it's instinctive to freeze in place and just witness the events unfold. After you have a few days to process the experience you might find it showing up in your creative work.

Gina said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. I really appreciate it.

melissa said...

i am also in ohio and know people who are still without any power. it scares me to think about my family in texas and what they endured (luckily they are all safe and sound!).

don't beat yourself up for missing days, just start writing again! pen to paper is all that matters. <3

hope you have a great weekend!

Pen said...

wow. i can imagine seeing nature in her full fiery must be pretty terrifying: it's hardly surprising you didn't see it as an 'opportunity'! i agree with gina, and you may well find it showing up once things have settled again somewhat.
the blessing seems to be that you journeyed through the storm relatively unscathed. all else can wait until you're good and ready! xx